Mountain Leader Summer Training
The Mountain Leader scheme is designed for people who want to lead groups in the mountains, hills and moorlands of the UK and Ireland. If you love being out in the mountains and want to share your enthusiasm with others, become a Mountain Leader and you’ll never look back (unless you’re checking your group’s still there!).
Mountain Leaders operate the length and breadth of the country with all sorts of groups of people; from scouts and schoolchildren to outdoor instructors and OAPs. The award is what you make it and there are countless opportunities for passionate Mountain Leaders.
Detailed information about the syllabus can be found on the Mountain Training website: Mountain Leader Award
This training course follows the Mountain Leader Award syllabus. Revisions may occur to take account for weather and other considerations, whilst still satisfying the spirit and detail of the scheme. Mountain Leaders should be competent in the following key areas, all of which will be covered, to a greater or lesser extent, during your six day training course.
- Group management
- Access and the environment
- Hazards (including steep ground and rivers) and emergency procedures
- Expedition skills
- Background knowledge
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of mountain walking
- You should have an interest in leading groups in the mountains
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member) – find out why
- You must be registered on the scheme
- You must have recorded a minimum of 20 Quality Mountain Days (ideally on DLOG) which can have taken place at any point (pre- or post-registration)
If you can tick all of the above boxes, here’s what to do next:
- Create an account on our Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one.
- Register for the Mountain Leader scheme (this costs £44)
23rd – 25th March & 6th – 8th April 2018
6th – 11th August 2018
Please email our DofE and Course Co-ordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org for our latest prices and availability.
Please note that courses need a min number of 4 candidates to run.
Venue: Anderton Centre, New Road, Nr Chorley PR6 9HG